Best Structural Ingenuity
Coulee Region Architecture Club at
Western Technical College
Best Original Design
UWL Community Engagement – Beyond the Classroom
Best Use of Labels
Boy Scout Troop 51
- 107 cans of Campbell’s soup (tomato, cream of mushroom and chicken noodle)
- 12 boxes of Barilla Lasagna Noodles
- 8 cans of Diet Pepsi
- 1 can of Dole Pineapple
A competition among Architecture Technology Students at Western Technical College and they chose Matthew Clark’s furling flag as their challenge. The students first decision was who to donate the food items to and they all agreed to WTC’s Cavalier Cupboard to help out their fellow students. It is constructed mainly of red and white Campbell soup cans for the stripes, silver diet Pepsi cans for the flag pole and a can of Pineapple for the flag pole finial. Although the idea seemed simple enough, the real challenge became stacking the cans, eight high and rotating them to create the stripes, without them falling over like dominoes. It was a great team building experience for the students who have been ‘attending’ classes online this semester.
- 16 boxes of Food Club Instant White Rice, 28 oz.
- 7 boxes Minute White Rice, 28 oz.
- 19 bags of Food club Pinto Beans (Dry), 16 oz.
- 11 bags of Jack Rabbit Light Red Kidney Beans (Dry), 16 oz.
- 46 cans of Shur Fine Light Red Kidney Beans, 15.5 oz.
- 22 cans of Shur Fine Dark Red Kidney Beans, 15.5 oz.
- 20 cans of Food Club Tomato Sauce, 15 oz.
- 20 cans of Food Club Diced Tomatoes with Roasted Garlic & Onion, 14.5 oz.
This art sculpture was created out of the ingredients to make a hearty meal of Red Beans and Rice. The school colors at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse are grey and maroon. Using the tops of tomato, tomato sauce, light red kidney beans and dark red kidney bean cans, the UWL Community Engagement: Beyond the Classroom team created the Eagle “L.” The second school color was created by using boxes of rice and bags of dried kidney and pinto beans. This piece of art was able to capture school spirit, provide the ingredients to make a delicious and nutritious meal, and provide three of the most needed food items at the Hunger Task Force year-round: beans, rice and pasta (tomato) sauce.
- 83 cans of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 30 cans of Star Kist Chunk Light Tuna
Living the Boy Scout Oath and Law aspects of duty to country and to help other people, we chose to create a United States of America Flag Canstruction using Campbell’s Soup cans for the red and white strips and Star Kist Tuna cans for the blue field. In working with our local American Legion, we participate in many US Flag ceremonies throughout the year as one of our civic duties for our country. As another one of our civic duties to help other people, every year in March we do a community food drive for the local food pantry by going door to door gathering donations. So fittingly, the we unanimously decided to construct a US Flag Canstruction for the Canstruction-Lite food drive event.